Selling your home in the wintertime isn't as difficult as you might think. In fact, with a little preparation and the right mindset, you can have your home sold before spring arrives! To help get you started, we've put together this list of 10 tips for selling your home this winter.
1. Price your home correctly. Winter is a great time to capitalize on motivated buyers who may be looking to take advantage of lower prices, less competition from other buyers, or tax incentives. Be sure to price your home competitively – this may even mean pricing it slightly below market value in order to attract the most interest from potential buyers, increasing competition for it, and naturally driving the price up.
2. Make your home inviting and comfortable for prospective buyers. Since winter weather can make outdoor activities less desirable, you want to make sure that people touring your home feel welcome and at ease inside. Invest in some cozy blankets, warm accents like scented candles or an area rug, and even offer complimentary hot drinks while people tour the property.
3. Maximize natural lighting indoors. With shorter days during the winter, it can be harder to show off your home’s full potential. Make sure that windows are clean and unblocked by furniture and open the blinds or curtains, so potential buyers can get the most out of the natural light when viewing your home.
4. Maintain your outdoor space throughout the winter months. Cut back dead/dormant vegetation. Put out pots of winter-durable plants, like pansies or ornamental cabbages. If snow or ice accumulates on outdoor surfaces like driveways or walkways, make sure these areas stay clear whenever possible so that prospective buyers have an easy time getting in and out of the property.
5. Keep a consistent temperature indoors. Temperature fluctuations can make prospective buyers uncomfortable or question the efficiency of your HVAC unit, which could possibly lead to lost interest in your property. Set your thermostat at a comfortable level and keep it there throughout any open house or tour of the property.
6. Install new energy efficient features. Winter months can be costly for homeowners in terms of energy bills, making it a great time to capitalize on the installation of energy-saving features such as a smart thermostat or double-paned windows. Not only will these features make your home more attractive to prospective buyers, but they could help you save money on utility costs too!
7. Stage your home with cozy winter decor. Incorporate warm blankets and seasonal decorations in your staging to evoke a sense of comfort and coziness in potential buyers’ minds.
8. Hire experienced real estate agents to list your home. Selling a home during the winter months can be challenging, so it’s important to hire an experienced agent who knows how to market your property in the best way possible for the season. Crabtree and Young have been helping the Upstate buy and sell real estate for over 12 years!
9. Utilize digital marketing tools to maximize exposure. With more people stuck at home due to cold weather, take advantage of industry websites and social media platforms to spread word about your property listing and gain maximum exposure from potential buyers. An experienced real estate agent will have these tools already in place.
10. Have patience when selling your home during winter months. It may take longer than usual to find the right buyer for your home during the winter season, but with a little preparation and perseverance you should be able to get your house sold before spring arrives!
Good luck as you start selling your home this winter season! With these 10 tried-and-true tips, you’ll have everything you need to make sure your house goes quickly. Happy Selling!Posted by Tammy Crabtree on